I’m just back from another visit to Sainte-Croix in Vaud, Switzerland. Mostly I was working, but I managed to do a few sketches.
I started sketching at the airport. The flight was full.
Here’s one of the outside of the hotel, done in 1 hour and 50 minutes, sitting on the pavement in the sun.
In between work on the computer and discussions, I made small quick sketches of what was in front of me. I experimented with watercolour sticks, which are very messy, but deliver strong bright colour.
Here’s another experiment with the watercolour sticks. I was walking back from the swimming pool, and saw this sweep of land and the farmhouse sheltered by trees. I was shortly due back at the hotel, so I made this sketch in about 10 minutes, sitting on the road. The watercolour sticks throw the colour on very quickly, and don’t allow me to fuss.
Here is a sketch made in about 20 minutes, while waiting for a meeting to start. I was looking out of the window…..
At the end of my visit I sat at a table on the terrace and looked across to the Mont de Baulmes.
Pen and wash, 20 minutes plus 20 minutes later.
Here are the watercolour sticks in their new/old box. It’s an old cigarette box. I just discovered they all fit into it nicely.
Here’s a drawing on location:
With thanks to Marina and Rolf, proprietors of the Hôtel de France, 25 rue Centrale, Sainte-Croix, Vaud, Switzerland. www.hotelfrance.ch
I have sketched here before:
- Swiss house on a hill November 2, 2021
- 26 rue des Rasses, Sainte-Croix, Vaud October 22, 2021
- Basel, February 2020 February 17, 2020
- Sainte-Croix, February 2020 February 17, 2020
- Sainte-Croix: l’Atelier de mécanique ancienne du Dr Wyss November 8, 2019
- Sketching in Sainte-Croix, Vaud, July 2019 July 15, 2019
- Hôtel de France, Vaud March 11, 2019
- Sainte-Croix, Vaud July 13, 2018
- Sainte-Croix, Vaud, Switzerland April 23, 2018
- The Absinthe Table March 30, 2018